Where the needs of your child exceed the level of support we can give our pupils we may reccomend that we apply for further support. 

This can take on the form of Top Up funding or an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP) 

What is Top Up Funding?

Top up funding support allows us to put in place higher level of support on a short term basis. All requests are processed through Cheshire West and Chester’s SEN team. The funding can be used to provide the necessary resources that will increase the level of support for a short period of time to meet your child's needs. This is awarded for 12 months and it is hoped that during this time the support is enough to help your child make the progress we plan for them to make. If after the 12 months, we find that your child may need a higher level of support on a long term basis, then we may reccomend that we apply for an Educational Health Care Plan. 

What is an Educational Health Care Plan?

An Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) are for children and young people up to the age of 25 who have a special educational need or disability that cannot be met by the support that is available at our school. It describes a child or young persons special educational needs (SEN) and the help they will get to meet them. An EHCP also includes any health and care provision that is needed. It is a legal document written by the local authority.

This short video at the bottom of this page by The Council for Disabled Children with support from Department of Education and Independent Support can explain this in more detail.  

All new education health and care needs assessment requests will be processed through Cheshire West and Chester’s EHC Hub. Further information can be found here. Parents are welcome to make thier own application for an Educational Health Care Plan through the Hub if they feel they would like long term support for thier child's needs. Further information is found here.

Resolving disagreements, mediation and SEND Tribunal.

Parents and young people are able to access support so that they can take part in decision-making or resolve any disputes as early as possible. Support can be provided by Information Advice and Support Service (IASS)

 If a parent or young person (aged 16 or over) is unhappy about a decision the SEN Team would always welcome the opportunity to meet with you or talk to you. The SEN Team can be contacted by:

 Email: or

 Telephone: 0151 337 6505

When a parent or young person is sent notice of a decision which can be appealed to the SEND tribunal, it will tell the parent or young person of their right to go to mediation.

Parents’ and young people’s right to appeal is not affected by entering into mediation. Once the information has been provided it is for the parent or young person to decide whether they want to go to mediation before any appeal they might make to the tribunal.

Parents and young people who wish to make an appeal to the Tribunal may do so only after they have contacted a mediation adviser and discussed whether mediation might be a suitable way of resolving the disagreement.

Parents and young people do not have to contact the mediation adviser prior to registering their appeal with the tribunal if their appeal is solely about the name and type of education setting in Section I of the EHC Plan.

 Who provides this service?

Mediation is provided by an independent service called KIDS.

Telephone: 03330 062 835



Chester Road,
Cheshire SY14 8PY
Headteacher: Mrs N Wetton
Main Contact: Terri-Ann Reynolds
If you would like to contact someone at school for help with anything please use the number or the email address above FAO: to Mrs Reynolds or Mrs Tilley
SEN Contact: Miss G Harper